The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Lot 99 (Monaco 1133B, Standard) at £18,000, with Commission

Seeing this one sell for £18,000 inclusive of Buyer's premium, I had to wonder whether (at least two) bidders could have mistakenly thought that this was one of the Monacos actually worn by Steve McQueen, during the filming of Le Mans. I saw some media blurbs, over the last couple of days, using the phrase "worn by Steve McQueen in Le Mans". I can think of no other logical explanation of this one selling for this price (unless maybe two guys were left, wanting to take home a watch, and this was the last vintage lot to be offered).

Based on what we see in our world, I don't think that it's fair to suggest -- based on this one sale -- that "standards" are now more valuable than "transitionals".

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Re the tranny, beautiful watch but not the std production
: associated with Steve Mcqueen or the magic chronomatic, so i
: guess it falls inbetween even though its a lovely thing...

: Rich

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE