The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Who Can Summarize the Results?
In Response To: Who Can Summarize the Results? ()

These are some of my consideration, some already reported:

- The vast majority of the estimates were pretty accurate and the final price was often close to the higher end of the range.
- The Carrera Chornomatic seemed a bargain.
- The Fume Silverstone did surprisingly better than blue and red.
- Some Autavia seemed also a bargain (definitively before the commission hits the price)
- Tranny Monaco (with checkered box) half the price of the 1133B
- Some Sifferts stayed closer to the lower estimate.

...and finally, few words about the big guys: Monaco PVD, Siffert Chronomatic and Carrera 1158 gold. Paul Gavin and I were sitting a couple of row behind the two gentlemen that held a true war of bids. We had no idea about their identity and ignored if they are regulars on any of these Heuer forums. But certaiinly they wanted those pieces very badly. Some other attendes attempted to counterbid half way during the auction, but these two gentlemen just kept going showing no hesitation whatsoever. We had the impression, for example, that the winner of the PVD could have paid much more than 40K (which translates in a final price of more than USD 70K for us in the States), if he had found somebody fighting him more persistently. It was a surreal experience.

Of course, now we are all asking ourselves how Dec.12 2010 will affect the market value of vintage Heuers and the answer is not easy. I still believe that today's acution will drag the prices toward the higher bar that was set today, on some models more than on others. But the hammer price for those three lots really seemed disconnected from the real world and counterbidding against somebody that seemed having no cash limit left a sort of bitter taste....but I guess that's how the world goes...Not sure that the next PVD on the market will raise something close to USD 70K...

It was a fantastic experience and I was really proud for being part of this community. Thanks to Arno and Paul at Bonhams for putting it together, to Paul Gavin for making the life of many of us very easy in London and to all the friends that made these two days an unforgettable event.

Cheers,
Francesco

PS.
Sorry for the typos. I am writing from a Starbucks in London (so that I don't miss NY) and no time for readproof....

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE