The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Hmm ?
In Response To: Re: Hmm ? ()

Taking a step back, it looks to me as if Guilherme is just stating a personal preference, from the understanding that the Bulova has a different factory finish from the equivalent Heuer, i.e. he prefers the brushed finish to the polished, which seems fair enough to me. It's not a criticism at all that I can see.

I would imagine that the case finish was originally the same, but that at some point in its life your Bulova has been polished. It happens, and we have commented on it on a number of other watches in the past. We have a number of watchmakers posting here who are very capable of returning it to a brushed finish, and have shown before and after photos. In fact, in my reply to Stewart a couple of threads before this one, I make reference to barrel Carreras that have been polished too.

You'll see an entire spectrum of views on refinishing of all sorts all throughout the forum and I hope no-one is sitting in judgement on the watches, they just know what's right for them. I have watches with very evident scratches on the case (more like gauges in some cases) and I am happy with them, thinking of the scratches as the scars and wear of 40 years of life. Someone else might prefer to have them buffed out. Neither one of us is right or wrong, we just have different preferences. Which takes me right back to where I started.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE