The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
To Restore or Leave it alone??

That is the question!
Folks, I recently acquired a Monza on ebay, and I love it. For me as a lower-dollar collector and racing nut, this was sort of my holy grail watch and the opportunity to get one at a not crazy price was too good to pass up. However, having received the watch I found the case is much more brassed and "rounded" at the lugs than I expected. I am having a hard time deciding whether to just live with it or have it restored by Abel Court. I personally don't need a NOS watch and I like things with a lived-in look. However, this particular watch is RIGHT at the tipping point between lived-in and desiring a sharpening of edges and a re-plate in PVD. The dial and crystal look fantastic and will not be touched, the case back has no major scratches and the case has no jagged edges or deep nicks. Basically the PO wore this watch a lot, but never abused it. As with a classic car, I am always torn because I love the evidence of use (this watch has a bunch of marks between the pushers from fingernails.) and when you restore something, you basically erase the history. On the other hand, the watch looks best in black, not brass, and as my holy grail watch i would love to have a sharp example! Further, I think given the values of these, i wouldn't end up underwater if I spent the money to have the case refinished lovingly.

Anyway, I am open to your valued opinions: Should I leave well enough alone?? (NOTE, the brassing is not that obvious in the first photo compared to real life. The second and third pics are more accurate!)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE