The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: To Restore or Leave it alone??

Hey Stewart, this wasn't the one with the box (I saw that one too, AFTER I received this one!). That one made me cry when I saw how little it sold for. This one came up a week or two earlier. I paid a fair bit more, BUT I still think it was at or below retail market value, and also this one had less wear and tear, in my opinion. I would still have been happy to have the other watch though!

As for the hands, are you sure about that? I have seen plenty of photos of the hands on either side and I had sort of assumed that the factory made them both ways in different years or something. Also, for what it's worth, the Monza in Arno's book has the hands in the same configuration as mine. I find it more logical and aesthetically pleasing that the white hand should be on a red sub-dial (on the lower right) and vice versa for the sake of contrast. I know you are an expert, and I'm a total newbie, but it makes more sense to me --just as a designer-- to have the hands contrast with the register rather than match them.

Last, thanks for the opinion: Chalk one up for "restore it!"

: Another coincidence. I meant to bid on this but forgot, I've been
: kicking myself since. You got an absolute bargain. It even came
: with a rectangular Heuer box. Well done.

: I would have it restored - Abel will do a good job. PS. The subdial
: hands are the wrong way around - I've seen this before, a common
: mistake!!

: Stewart
: :

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE