The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Yes, People Like to Name These Watches

Yes, some members of our community like these names -- Steve McQueen, Joe Siffert, Jochen Rindt, Jackie Ickx, Derek Bell, Clay Regazzoni, etc.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of the "Derek Bell" name for this Auatvia. Yes, he was a great racer, and he wore one of these watches, but I don't see the close identification / multiple images of this man and this watch . . . as we saw with McQueen, Siffert, Rindt, etc. It has also proven to be somewhat confusing, as we have the later 1163MHs, in the Viceroy style, that some call the Derek Bell.

And, to address your more specific point, I'm not sure that we put Derek Bell in the same league as James Bond, Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, etc., as icons who inspire people to collect particular watches. I don't imagine that Tourneau gets a lot of people walking in, asking for the watch that Derek Bell wore.

I was not criticizing you for using this name.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++

: Aren't many of the watches collected because they are "so called " ?
: James Bond Rolex Submariner
: Heuer Autavia Siefert
: Rolex Explorer McQueen
: Panerai Sly Stallone
: Rolex GMT PanAm
: Rolex Daytona Paul Newman
: and the list goes on
: :)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE