The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Interesting; Auctioneers Suggesting Premium for Fab. Suisse

This auction catalog is interesting . . . I have seen a couple of similar listings, in which auctioneers suggest some scarcity / value in a watch having the "Fab. Suisse" marking. Still not exactly sure why a watch imported into France would be worth more than one imported into England or Italy, but we know how auctioneers can be!!

By the way, Jack Heuer just sent me an e-mail message indicating that he cannot suggest an explanation, with any confidence, so we are not alone in wondering what this is all about!!

Strangest thing is seeing the span between the 1962/63 Autavia and the 1968/70 Carrera, both with the Fab Suisse marking. Why haven't we seen dozens or hundreds of these marks?

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++

: Jeff,
: I found this online. It is from the Lot Notes from a Christies
: Auction of a Patek Phillipe. They state that it is due to being
: designated for the French market. I know this info is easily
: found online, but this is the best 'source' I've found to date.
: Here is the excerpt..

: "As a matter of fact it is the only example of this
: reference in yellow gold known to exist featuring "FAB.
: SUISSE" in the combined date/moon phases dial, a
: designation generally reserved for watches supplied to the
: French market. This fact is underlined by the case back, stamped
: with French import marks and the "Guillermin"
: retailer's stamp, in addition to the regular Patek Philippe
: signature, serial and reference number. "

: Link is here:
: http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5257830
: Click on 'Lot notes' for the full text

: Stewart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE