The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
We discussed one of these before
In Response To: Oldest Valjoux 72 in a Heuer? ()

The one we discussed before had more apparent patination on the registers relative to the rest of the dial, but if I look closely on this one post-restoration I think I can make out similar marks around 7 and 9 on the 12 hour register.

http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=47985

It's a 2443 with a slightly different dial to the versions shown in the 1945 and 1946 catalogues; the brass stud hour markers are more reminiscent of a 333 from the period. It's quite possible that these were later adopted for the 2443 too - that was what I surmised in my reply to the earlier posting:

http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=47990

Specific dating is tricky around this period. 450xxx movements do appear to have been post-war from other examples I've seen. There is also a trend away from bar to round pushers as we get closer to the 50s. 2447s like Jeff's started to adopt these pushers as early as 1946. I've not really seen enough 2443s to know that they also adopted the round pushers, necessitating changes to the cut outs on the case. So if we say the chances are that Jeff's 2447 is from 1945 or '46, the later movement serial in your client's watch probably puts it somewhere around 1947. But I'd be more confident with a wider range in this period - definitely between 1945 and 1950, with a fair chance it's somewhere in the middle of that.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE