The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Of Self Examination and Full Contact eBay...

Chuck,

Many thanks for the tips, great info, you ask for a bit of info and you get the entire history, just what a new guy wants to get from a forum like this, great work guys keep it up!

Well, we do try. I have to confess, I haven't been able to free up as much time to devote to the forum here lately as I'd like. I'm going to try to make it happen though...

The important thing to learn from my reply to you was not the information, but rather how I found it. More on this in a bit.

Any thoughts on what a new Heuer collector should add to his collection? I am growing bored with my 2 rolex and already have 2 JLC so want to get more into Heuer.

Ok, your first steps should be to think about what you like in a watch... Do you like/prefer Chronographs? If so, with contrasting or same colored subdial's? Do you prefer Gold, Two-Tone or Stainless Steel? Is Date important? Do you prefer Manual Wind or Automatic or even Quartz? What Dial color/design's do you like. What case shapes to you like?

After you've examined your tastes, you'll have a better idea as to what you are looking for.

A watch from my birth year 1973, any suggestions??? and the ebay links???

Ah, here is were we come back to "The important thing to learn... ...how I found it"... Armed with your self examination of your tastes in watches (previous two paragraphs), you can now go through the Chronograph Master Reference Table (which we affectionately call the MOAT: Muthah Of All Tables), the Catalogs and research product lines and specific case reference numbers that are candidate's to look into purchase of. But remember that even though OTD doesn't have a 1973 catalog, if a model appears in 1971 or 1972 chances are it was still in the product line (and on store shelves) in 1973. In fact you can probably "fill in the gaps" by looking at the early 1970 cataogs, and the later 1974, 1977-1980 catalogs (and beyond) on both OTD and my site and see many models had a long production run.

You can then also look at the Guide to the Chronos and get a better idea as to which models to further persue.

After you've done this, and perhaps even while you are doing this, you can start looking on eBay, and the other various on-line dealers. My main watch links page, has a slew of dealers (an overflow page and probably more than a few busted links) and if you scroll down a few eBay links that may be of some use to you.

Were I to speculate, I would guess your most likely choices for candidate watches in the 1971-1975 timeframe are apt to be Micro-Rotor movement Autavia's, Carrera's and "Race Track" models (Monaco's, Montreal's, Monza's, Cornina's, Daytona's, etc.) of that era.

Good Hunting, and watch out for the other fellows here in the forum... We are all pretty avid collectors, and we play full contact football on eBay! But we're civil about it (mostly!)...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like many things in life, only improve with age…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE