The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
great comments from Jack Freedman

While I'm a bit pressed for time I will share some thoughts based on first hand experience repairing these movements. As my company has been the official service center for Porsche Design by Orfina since the 1970's I have serviced thousands of their models 7176/7177 which contain the Lemania 5100 movement.

I've read the discussions and many articles over the years and one reason collectors favor timepieces with this movement is the fact that it's perhaps the only chronograph that has a large central minute counter. Now, let's look at the movement from a watchmaking perspective. I think this movement was constructed with the express considerations of a simple, functional, and economical construction. It was never meant to capture the attention of a watchmaker for its aesthetics or for its ease of service.

The movement contains many plastic parts which give it a raw and cheap look though some will argue that plastic parts require no lubrication thus better performance. In my experience, the plastic parts in this movement present a whole different set of problems that can cause a headache for even professional watchmakers who are not experienced with this calibre. Quite often the large plastic support plate (#2737) on the dial side swells with age or from improper cleaning and, as a result, will jam the calendar date disc. Since most watchmakers are not fortunate to have a supply of parts on hand it can become frustrating to figure out which part(s) are defective and need to be replaced. Thus hours of wasted time and effort go by because the aforementioned problem is not visible to the eye.

The overall construction of the chrono mechanism is such that a set of levers and parts interlock and hold each other in place supported by the above mentioned plastic bridge covering the under dial side of the movement. This design also makes oiling a little tricky and different than the conventional construction of, for example, the Val. 7750. The train bridge side of the movement contain plastic bumper supports which act to buffer the oscillating weight agains sudden impacts. The small bridge (#1155), a.k.a. bar for reduction gear, is inexpensively made and more often than not the hole wears out rendering poor or no automatic winding. I never fully understood why the Lemania factory hadn't produced these parts with a hole jewel for longevity though the same argument can be made with the Val. 7750 small bridge (#8079) a.k.a. coupling clutch for oscilating pinion. Of course, as mentioned, this movement was constructed in the most economical way possible.

From a watchmaker's view there are other issues to reckon with. The amplitude on this calibre is rarely on the high side with the exception of new or slightly used excellent condition watches. Though it has a large balance wheel and a good shock system the staff pivots wear away slightly from use and very often cause a significant drop in amplitude. This phenomenon doesn't show up as often with the Val. 7750 chronograph movements. Yet, surprisingly, with proper and professional service I have seen the Lemania 5100 movements last over 30 years as they keep ticking away with decent timekeeping.

These are my thoughts without researching my collection of files.

Best regards,

Jack Freedman
SUPERIOR WATCH SERVICE INC

Messages In This Thread

So What Do You Think of the Lemania 5100?
comments from another watchmaker
Re: comments from another watchmaker
There Is Another Central Minute Recorder Auto Chrono Mvmnt
Re: There Is Another Central Minute Recorder Auto Chrono Mvm
And the Lemania 1340 as well (nt)
That's the 'father' of the L5100, isn't it?
I don't believe they're related
Re: I don't believe they're related
I'm confident that is a mistake
So is the Speedmaster "Grail" Full of Plastic?
Re: So is the Speedmaster "Grail" Full of Plastic?
Users vs. Watchmakers / More Questions
Watchmakers always have horror stories
Thanks for an Excellent Discussion
A very good Lemania forum
My favourite calibre and the bulk of my collection
I like it
Here's What Pascal S Wrote on a Forum in 2010
Nothing wrong with it!
great comments from Jack Freedman
Agreed -- Excellent Comments!!
Like the small block Chevy
Loving this thread, a few thoughts ...
Lemania 5100 (and derivatives) = Good Working Tractor
Places for Deeres and Places for Dinos
Some tractors...
Of course I like it...
attempting to "upgrade" in this way is often not a good idea
Another Thread Showing the Innards of Lemania 5100
I particularly liked the comments from Pascal quoted (nt)
I like it!!!!
Consider this
there's a key difference here
Re: So What Do You Think of the Lemania 5100?
Chuck Maddox on Lemania 5100 vs. Valjoux 7750
disclaimer: mechanic, not a collector
As a User First, Collector Second, I Have Been Happy
First rate discussion
Thanks, Andy (and All Contributors)
And By the Way -- Fantastic Chronos!!
Re: And By the Way -- Fantastic Chronos!!
Re: So What Do You Think of the Lemania 5100?
About the Omega / Lemania 5100 Connection
Re: About the Omega / Lemania 5100 Connection
Lemania 5100
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE