The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Here's What Pascal S Wrote on a Forum in 2010

The poll question was whether the Lemania 5100 was (a) Uber Cool, (b) Cool or (c) Un-Cool. Here is a message from Pascal S, a regular contributor on many watch forums:

No need to ask me how I voted...

I think the thing that attracted me the most with this movement, beyond its unequalled legibility and well-documented sturdiness, is the fact that it's the last member of a dying breed. This movement was conceived with only utilitarian considerations in mind. It had to be accurate, dependable, and cheap to make. Lemania managed to combine those three qualities brilliantly before the quartz tsunami redefined the watch manufacturing landscape, and consumer expectations, forever.

Nowadays, nobody would try to make such a movement because it no longer makes financial sense in our era. Quartz is more accurate and way cheaper, and most nostalgics who are ready to buy new mechanically-powered chronographs want something more: aesthetics. As much as it pains me to reach that conclusion, building an automatic chronograph has become a pointless exercise which can only be justified by adding a nice packaging to the core function of measuring time. Be it only thanks to a sapphire caseback, or going further with the addition of so-called "noble" complications such as a column wheel, or some cosmetic enhancements (Geneva waves, Perlage, blued parts, etc), the mechanical movement has been dragged into the limelight from the shadows of backstage. And it is now expected to star while still managing the show!

The Lemania 5100 is the last survivor of an era when extra considerations of this kind were unnecessary or even preposterous, except for a tiny segment of high horology. The calibre 5100 was therefore designed with a true purpose in mind, and that was it. No wonder it proved so popular with the military! This movement therefore encompasses a level of purity and honesty that we will simply not find anymore. It doesn't try to seduce us. It just is the ultimate expression of what it was meant to do given the technical limitations of the time.

The late and much-missed Chuck Maddox, with whom I had frequent e-mail conversations on that topic, indeed liked to describe this movement as the AK-47 of the chronograph world. He also sometimes used another analogy which I like just as much: the Lemania 5100 is the equivalent of a jeep. Rugged, unsophisticated, ugly, but outperforming and outlasting anything that already existed at the time. And to me it is reassuring to see so many people lovingly restoring old Willys MB Jeeps some 70 years after they first appeared because it gives me hope that the Lemania 5100 will enjoy a similar fate. But that will only happen if enough people truly measure its significance as the ultimate mechanical "work chronograph" ever made.

So yeah, this calibre is Über-Cool, and as a result so are most of the watches it powered. Besides, who can argue against such a simple an logical dial layout for a chrono?

So now we are getting all the references -- tractor, jeep or AK-47. When I put on the EZM-1 tomorrow morning, and head out for the run through the neighborhood, I'll enjoy wearing it that much more!!

Thanks to everyone for excellent contributions to this discussion.

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

So What Do You Think of the Lemania 5100?
comments from another watchmaker
Re: comments from another watchmaker
There Is Another Central Minute Recorder Auto Chrono Mvmnt
Re: There Is Another Central Minute Recorder Auto Chrono Mvm
And the Lemania 1340 as well (nt)
That's the 'father' of the L5100, isn't it?
I don't believe they're related
Re: I don't believe they're related
I'm confident that is a mistake
So is the Speedmaster "Grail" Full of Plastic?
Re: So is the Speedmaster "Grail" Full of Plastic?
Users vs. Watchmakers / More Questions
Watchmakers always have horror stories
Thanks for an Excellent Discussion
A very good Lemania forum
My favourite calibre and the bulk of my collection
I like it
Here's What Pascal S Wrote on a Forum in 2010
Nothing wrong with it!
great comments from Jack Freedman
Agreed -- Excellent Comments!!
Like the small block Chevy
Loving this thread, a few thoughts ...
Lemania 5100 (and derivatives) = Good Working Tractor
Places for Deeres and Places for Dinos
Some tractors...
Of course I like it...
attempting to "upgrade" in this way is often not a good idea
Another Thread Showing the Innards of Lemania 5100
I particularly liked the comments from Pascal quoted (nt)
I like it!!!!
Consider this
there's a key difference here
Re: So What Do You Think of the Lemania 5100?
Chuck Maddox on Lemania 5100 vs. Valjoux 7750
disclaimer: mechanic, not a collector
As a User First, Collector Second, I Have Been Happy
First rate discussion
Thanks, Andy (and All Contributors)
And By the Way -- Fantastic Chronos!!
Re: And By the Way -- Fantastic Chronos!!
Re: So What Do You Think of the Lemania 5100?
About the Omega / Lemania 5100 Connection
Re: About the Omega / Lemania 5100 Connection
Lemania 5100
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE