The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What do You Make of the Silver Printing?

I wonder if it was an experiment due to some dissatisfaction that they couldn't get the white printing on black dials anywhere near as fine as the black printing on the silver/white dials. It doesn't seem all pervasive - plenty of the dark-dialled watches of the period still have the white printing - but it does seem to have been tried on a number of watches, from these 45 Datos to 2447s and Dato 12s too. They seem to have reverted to white by the second execution watches, though to my eye the printing quality still leaves something to be desired in comparison to the black on silver, including in both panda variants. By the time of the 1153 they had nailed it, but the first gen watches produced alongside still had variable printing in comparison.

Eric, to my knowledge the launch Ss had the silver starburst dials and the off-white ones belong to a later period. Some of the early ones have oxidised and aren't as shiny but the starburst should still be at least a little evident.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE