The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Agree with Jeff/Paul and my 2p worth..
In Response To: Beautiful Response, Paul ()

Couple of thoughts I'd like to share..

Firstly, when value/price of our Heuers...
I think we are lucky, even though values are rising, or have risen, they are still relatively affordable for what you get. Sure, there are certain 'grails' out there that are very expensive, but on the whole, a good, well cared for Heuer can be had for a reasonable sum. Yes, it's all about scale, but even someone who isn't wealthy can save up and buy a nice diver or chronograph, and really enjoy it. When you look at the like of vintage Rolex, the Heuers are bargains.
This is purely an observation of prices, and doesn't take into account the real value, ie. the history and beauty.

Secondly, and more importantly... our community..
I have to say, the people I have come to know, and the community on the whole is such a pleasant place. It's rare that we get any major issues or anyone rippling the pond.
I don't really know why this is, maybe it's the type of person, in general, that collects Heuers - ie. it's not about money or status, we aren't trophy chasers or exhibitionists. We like the watches because of the rich history and the feel of them. It's not just one thing that makes our community special, the closest I can get to describing it is 'terroir'...
For those of you that know your wines (I don't - I'm a beer drinker!! tut tut!), 'terrior' is a French term that describes everything about a vineyard & the wine it produces, it's position, the sun, the soil, the grape... this is an extract from wikipedia:

"Terroir is the set of special characteristics that the geography, geology and climate of a certain place... Terroir can be very loosely translated as "a sense of place," which is embodied in certain characteristic qualities, the sum of the effects that the local environment has had on the production of the product."

In traditional US/English language, we are not used to this kind of all-encompassing descriptions, but it really sums up the Heuer community. We have good Terroir.

There are so many genuinely nice people that hang out in our community, people that will help out as much as they can. Whether this is via email or on the phone, or physically going out their way to do something generous.. I've had US collectors take deliveries for me, then mail them on to me here in the UK, parts gifted to me from the US, straps gifted to me from the US & UK. I was chatting to a fellow Italian collector just last week who wondered if it was OK to send me a free hand made strap! I've had watches loaned to me - I've loaned some back. The ying-yang goes the other way, I've gifted the other way, helped buy watches, donated parts & tried to help out in any way I can.
There is also a lot of 'off-forum' banter, via email - people helping others out, sharing stories & watches. Swapping of info and parts. Getting heads-up on a watch that you are after.. or sending out a heads-up to someone you know is after a particular model.

All of the above is a rare thing, I go on a few other watch forums, and the in-fighting is non-stop. We can consider ourselves very lucky indeed, and I really think that the 'good guy' will always prevail.

Stewart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE