The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Does that mean the trip to South America is of

louisbrant Posts: LB:I think this great web site has gone to your head just a teeny tiny bit .

Chuck:Opinion & not especially irrelevent even if true.

Chuck:I don't honestly believe any of us want to be a lynch mob, or re-enact the Salem Witch trials on watches,

LB:I thought the Bezel questions to the long winded UK seller was a bit over the top . Just a little bit . Tiny bit .

I didn't know they were part of this thread. I must have missed it.

Jeff: Surely courts must have ruled on the right of a third-party to use photographs to illustrate / expose fake goods? Then the answer became clear: How many guys selling fake goods would go into court to seek to protect their rights to their photographs? Not a single one! What would they claim as damages -- the amount that they would have stolen from the innocent purchaser?

Chuck: Never said it was (a defense) or that he (photographer/copyright holder) was an AS---LE. Only that no seller of fake goods is going to take the trouble, time, effort or money to press the point.

LB: I used As---LE instead of Fake Seller in answer to Jeff's "Surely the courts mast have" question/ statement and to the question below

Ok. Anything you say

Jeff: Let be realistic about this -- The owner of this watch owns both the watch and the original copy of the photograph; he is seeking to sell the watch in a commercial transaction, presumably for a profit; at this time, he has been put on notice that the watch is a fake. How realistic is it that any court, anywhere in the world, will protect his exclusive right to use this photograph? Will a court prevent OTD's use of this photograph to expose the fraud and protect prospective purchasers?

Chuck: I don't believe OTD is contemplating such action.

LB: Does that mean the trip to South America is off ?

I wasn't aware one was on... Not that I wouldn't mind seeing Rio.

Chuck: I'm not particularly looking for an argument or a debate on this topic. However, I don't see any reason to discontinue from pointing out obvious fakes when I see them.

LB:No one is stopping you. You go girl! But the topic is copyright .

Who injected "the modern media", internet included, Terrorists and freedom fighters, train stations , ammo dumps etc., Russian schools and the Twin Towers into the conversation?

I believe the topic was fake watches and fair use of eBay photos, not those tangents you careened over to.

Chuck: My opinion, Jeff's opinion, heck, Derek has a Rouge's Gallery on Chronocentric so it's probably safe to say his opinion as well, is that this falls under fair use. I'm not a lawyer, nor do I believe is Derek, but Jeff is. Are you?

LB:Opinion not concrete evidence .

This forum isn't a legally binding courtroom with a jury either.

Derek is I.T. and in conflict as is Jeff

In your opinion.

No I'm not a lawyer but I have a really big head .

I noticed.

Are you a watchmaker ? "Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with age…"

No, but one doesn't have to be a mechanic to appreciate a fine car, a Tobaccinist to appreciate a fine cigar or have grape stained feet to appreciate a fine wine. Do they? I think not.

I am an owner, a collector and an enthusiast of watches, chronographs specifically. Which we discuss in this forum. My signature is clearly related to that.

You youself have stated you are here for argument. That gets old real fast.

Oh My god ! My micro rotor is worn out and the 5th wheel is missing a tooth and my zero return lever is snapped . Oh my god the NOS Autavia I just started wearing has gummed up and is not keeping time

It sucks to be you.

But Chuck said they would get better with time ! Sorry cheap shot and I'm sorry but you almost called me a lawyer.LOL

Let's go with your theory... They get worse with time, so you should sell them to me and only me for pennies on the dollar.

I have broken out my spare change jar to pay your for your collection. I await a detailed listing of your inventory and a place to mail you a very modest MO. Then you can go out and buy yourself a nice new Swatch.

Has anyone ever found out which is the better movement for wear Valjoux 7750 , High beat Zenith or the calibre 12?

Opinions vary. After all opinions are like Arseholes, everybody has one, they all smell and everyone elses is more offending than ones own is.

Cheers

PS the wife an I were trying to spell "arse" so again ,thanks Chuck

Sorry I put an such an abrupt end to your stimulating Friday night... Wasn't my intent.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with age…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE