The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Value of Watch with Refinished Dial

this is a tough question -- to some extent a question of how the market values a watch with a refinished dial and to some extent a question of how you value such a watch.

it's only an estimate, but I would say that the market generally devalues a watch with a refinished dial by 40 to 50%, maybe even more. this may depend on the quality of the refinishing job, with some really poor-quality refinishes devaluing a watch by even more.

if you are considering buying one, the real question is how you will feel about the watch, in terms of owning it and wearing it. I have owned two chronos with refinished dials; both are good quality restorations that look fine at the distance from eye to wrist. still, I can't stand to wear either one, so they are worth relatively little to me. I own them, as I cling to the hope / chance of finding an original dial, to use as a replacement.

so that my two cents worth, on the value of watches with refinished dials. others may have very different estimates and opinions.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Just curious for a few educated opinions.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE