The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Value of Watch with Refinished Dial

: it's only an estimate, but I would say that the
: market generally devalues a watch with a
: refinished dial by 40 to 50%, maybe even

Wow. That's a lot. Surely for a poorly refinished dial or one clearly altered from the original look. But really for one done accurately and well?

I find this especially interesting given that some upscale watch dealers back in the 1950s/60s routinely did dial repaints as part of their superlative repair and maintenance services to freshen the watch's look.

: if you are considering buying one, the real
: question is how you will feel about the
: watch, in terms of owning it and wearing it.

Authenticity is important. But then having something in a good state of cosmetic appearance is important too. Don't want someone to think you are wearing junk on your wrist.

I think of dial repainting like repainting a vintage car. You wouldn't expect the original paint to be in great shape after 20, 30 or more years. So a properly done repaint restores the value lost from the typical, expected deterioration.

While a repaint may be worth less than a mint original, I still believe one done well would be worth more than a untouched but deteriorated original.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE