The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Serial Numbers Tell the Story
In Response To: The late Valjoux Skipper ()

Excellent research and posting, Henrik!!

Let me try to simplify . . . if we take the serial numbers as being sequential / accurate, then we have the following:

• Reference 73464 (earlier); countdown segments are red-white-blue; numbers are 0-10-5
  • Reference 1564 (automatic); countdown segments are red-white-blue; numbers are 0-10-5
  • Reference 73464 (later); countdown segments are white-blue-red; numbers are 10-5-0
  • All subsequent models had the white-blue-red sequence.

I believe that most regattas had a 10 minute countdown to the start, so the 10-5-0 makes mare sense. The moment you start the chronograph, you are counting down 10 minutes to the start, not 15 minutes to the start.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi guys,

: I am sure you found the Skipper 73464 on ebay
: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201140009835 .

: It seems to be one with fitting serial to the late case Valjoux
: Skipper (see the different pusher cut out) with the different
: dials (look at the subdial color and register). The case has the
: same reference number than the early case of the Valjoux
: Skipper: 73463.

: Something I know I wrote same month ago in a small post here:
: http://www.heuerchrono.com/heuer-skipper-2/new-type-of-skipper-73464/

: Then I will keep the fingers crossed the Skipper will find a good
: home and will come to the family.

: Have a great week
: Henrik

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE