The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Serial Numbers Tell the Story
In Response To: Serial Numbers Tell the Story ()

: Excellent research and posting, Henrik!!

: Let me try to simplify . . . if we take the serial numbers as being
: sequential / accurate, then we have the following: Reference
: 73464 (earlier); countdown segments are red-white-blue; numbers
: are 0-10-5 Reference 1564 (automatic); countdown segments are
: red-white-blue; numbers are 0-10-5 Reference 73664 (later);
: countdown segments are white-blue-red; numbers are 10-5-0 All
: subsequent models had the white-blue-red sequence.

: I believe that most regattas had a 10 minute countdown to the
: start, so the 10-5-0 makes mare sense. The moment you start the
: chronograph, you are counting down 10 minutes to the start, not
: 15 minutes to the start.

: Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

just one thing - will be a spelling mistake: the later one got the same reference 73464 (case: 73463) as the early one (you wrote 73664). The cases are different but with the same engraved reference.

The numbers on the subdial: I think about but did not found anything substantial. It could be, that it causes in the regatta rules or in changing the rules sometime.

So it could be that it is more readable with "start the countdown" - "5 to go" - "0 and go!" as the later one shows - and make it better fit with 4-3-2-1 later.

There were and are different rules to start a regatta as far as I know, sometimes it was 5 minutes from the signal to regatta-start and some regattas starts with 10 minutes to go or 15 min to go from the first signal.

Maybe some knowing older regatta yachtsman read this and can bring light in the dark ;)

The colorscheme should be extend with the 15640 blue - the earlier type have the red-white-blue again.

- Reference 73464 (earlier); countdown segments are red-white-blue; numbers are 0-10-5
- Reference 1564 (automatic); countdown segments are red-white-blue; numbers are 0-10-5
- Reference 73664 (later); countdown segments are white-blue-red; numbers are 10-5-0
- Reference 15640 blue (earlier); countdown segments are red-white-blue; numbers are 0-10-5
- All subsequent models had the white-blue-red sequence; numbers are 3x 4-3-2-1

Not sure about the production times of the dials for the different Skippers, could explain something.

It is good to see in the gallery with focus on the white part at the subdial.
http://www.heuerchrono.com/heuer-skipper/skipper-gallery/

So many small things to explore just with the few Skipper...

Next I will update my grid and the table of serials with the subdial colors, that will shows the differences too.

Best,
Henrik

Btw: is the one you show from the later Valjoux Skipper the one from Shaun?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE