The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The luxury of buying a brand new watch... *PIC*

I have a question for you.
Since we are interested mostly in vintage watches we are very well used to buying and wearing a "used" watch.

(Btw, I know watch collectors who would never wear a watch that has been on another person wrist for a sognificant period of time. They say the watch carries the "aura" of the previous owner etc...)

Now I'm vaguely considering to buy a Tag Heuer super professional diver. (Btw, I have read that production of this model has stopped. Is this true?) I have found this watch in two watch shopps in my area with a MSRP of around 1300euro. These watches are sold on ebay (they don't appear very often) for 500-700euros. Now it has been quite some time since I entered a shop and ought a brand new watch and I sorta miss this exprerience. Instant gratification, without waiting for shipping, without surprizes about the condition and being the first and only owner...

If this model is indeed out of production then this is probably my last chance of buying one new, but on the other hand this also means that the pieces I saw in shopwindows are demonstration pieces that have already been in a lot of wrists... ;-)

What would you do?
Would you buy "new" or used and why?
Do you ever miss the "buying a brand new watch" experience?

Regatrds

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE