The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Quality, yes. Abuseproof, no...(more)
In Response To: Omega quality? Omega service? ()

: I had been planning on buying a full size automatic Seamaster
: Pro. until I found a web site which has about 50 people
: talking about how bad the customer service is with Omega

If it is the one I've seen, most of it is general bitching with few people actually introducing factual information or direct experiences. Most of the comments are people ignorantly being appalled at this guy's sob story. I say ignorantly because they are only hearing one side of the issue. This guy is presenting Omega as a producer of crappy products when the real truth is he is unhappy with his watch DEALER because they did not kiss his butt over a warranty repair on a watch that the evidence told them he had clearly abused.

: I want to buy the last watch of my life, but
: also don't want to "baby it." I want to go

There is no such thing. Buying a more expensive watch DOES NOT BUY YOU SOMETHING INDESTRUCTIBLE. That is the problem many people on the other site you mentioned had -- they incorrectly assumed that a more expensive product can be treated with neglect and come through fine. WRONG!

Try running a BMW or Mercedes for years with no maintenance or oil changes and see how long it lasts. Drive it through muck and off road and see how well the finish holds up. For $40,000-80,000 it ought to hold up infinitely better than a $15,000 Dodge Neon, right?

Sound ridiculous? That sounds like the same level of treatment you intend for your future Omega.

Don't get stuck on a simpleminded view of what luxury products are. In most cases, spending more on luxury-class items buys you more refinements, better fit and finish, and a level of prestige -- but seldom raw indestructability and abuse-proofness.

: Is the quality on a used Seamaster as good as a new one?

Obviously at one point it WAS a new watch. What has changed it since it was new is the amount of wear, tear, and abuse. Just like a used car, you have to check each one out individually to see what you are getting.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE