The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Omega quality? Omega service?

With all the bad "rep" about quality control at the Lancaster Omega service center......it totally amazes me that ANY Omega owner still uses them!

Fact is......find a local factory trained watchmaker with a good "rep" and use them for basic service.....and save the major "vintage" basket cases for Bienne service.

I use a local jeweler who just happens to be a long time Rolex dealer WITH a factory trained Rolex watchmaker on staff. I've had several of my 1960's 18k cased Omega Constellations cleaned and hand oiled.....some getting a new Omega crown or crystal, and the watches have all run like champs!

Cost......basic cleaning with new gaskets was about $100.........crystal and crown extra but reasonable. Freeks me out that I've YET to find any authorised Omega dealer with an in house factory trained Omega watchmaker on staff! Why? Is there NO Omega dealership with the foresite to see what a draw that can be to his business. WHY should all Omega owners have to go to Bienne to get qualified "factory" service?

.......for these reasons i only buy vintage 18k Omega Constellations with cal. 561 and cal. 564 movements. High quality and super reasonable in today's marketplace. For 1K you get a great 18k watch WITH a complete overhaul. Since we're on our own....it seems with Omega.......why not act like it and support ANY quality conscience local watchmaker dying to get our business!.....

......Omega certainly doesn't seem to want it!
==================================================
: My Bond auto was one of the most perfect man
: made objects I have ever owned. Virtually
: flawless with the naked eye. Then, 5 months
: after getting it the bezel spring broke
: allowing the bezel to rotate clockwise.

: Now, my nightmare with Omega service here in
: the USA begins. Womble Watch Works in Atanta
: replaced the spring but marred the watch. I
: had to fight Omega Lancaster to repair
: Wombles careless handling. They fixed the
: marks Womble left on it but gouged the watch
: lugs with the band pins. I send it back and
: they now put rub marks on the satin flats of
: the watch and attempted to touch up the
: marks put the band. Now, my SMP looks like a
: retouched hack job. I'm going to send it
: back for the third time and want a refund.

: In the end, the watch as it came from
: Switzerland was excellent. The customer
: service in the US is lousy ......... repair
: techs that are hacks and management that is
: rude and inconsiderate with regard to MY
: PROPERTY. Contacts in Bienne that won't take
: charge and make the situation right
: requiring me to send the watch back to the
: hacks in Lancaster. Not the kind of
: treatment one expects with any product let
: alone a $1800 watch.

: I've posted many times relating this story and
: hope to finally have something good to write
: about my experience. Will I buy another
: Omega? NO. Will I keep my other Omegas? Yes,
: but probably won't wear them ever again.

: I've read on another post that Omega is closing
: the Lancaster repair facility. If this is
: true, I wonder if Omega is finally taking
: charge of the situation.

: jc

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE