The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Just worried about you, I've learned to...

Re: Sleeping on the couch these days? - No

Posted By: allen st. john

Date: 4/12/07 17:21 GMT

In Response To: Sleeping on the couch these days? - No (Commish1999)

Time-Out

Although there are certainly exceptions, I think that collecting is largely a "guy thing." I see it on this board, on the guitar boards I frequent, at vintage car races.

Thinking that collecting is a "Guy Thing" is not unreasonable...

I have always likened it to prehistoric man being "Hunter-Gatherers"... Men go out, hunt, and gather to bring back to the cave. Even on eBay we use terms like search, stalk, snipe (and those are just the S's...)...

I'm sure women collect too, but they sometimes collect different things.

I didn't realize that furs increase in value, and I guess I knew that diamonds and jewelry can, but are there fur and jewelry discussion boards frequented mostly by women? (It's an honest question--I really don't know.)

I'm not sure there are many men hanging around fur collecting discussion forums, not sure I'd feel comfortable hanging around such men. [personal feeling folks]

As far as the restored/original thing, it's that much more profound in the guitar world. Even things like refretting, which is basically maintenance, reduces the value. And a guitar where the finish is worn to the bare wood is still worth more than twice as much as a perfectly restored example.

That probably has parallels with watch and car collecting to be sure.

And Chuck, no, I'm not sleeping on the couch. I say to my wife "If you want it, buy it" And she knows that there are far worse vices than good guitars or a nice watch.

It's just there are some areas which are minefields, I've learned to recognize them. Often saying "if I wanted to get into really deep trouble where would I walk?"...

I was just worried about you, and besides... How often do I get to break out a Lost in Space Robot picture?

best

Allen

Cheers!
-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE