The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

"Gray market" dealers

Just thought I would post a quick bit about so-called "gray market" dealers, after having read and replied to a slam on one on this forum (seller and subject of tirades at www.authenticwatches.com).

Anyone considering an online purchase from this type dealer, whether directly from a "store" website or through eBay, should do their homework and research and understand what they sell, and more specifically should understand what they're buying before making any purchase. These "professional" sellers (and unlike many eBay individual sellers) do not deal in pre-owned or refurbished watches. Their stock comes from former jewelry store displays, overstock items, and store stock that became obsolete due to newer models/movements. It's easy enough to do a bit of research before buying one through these type dealers, to read item descriptions CLOSELY and to check pictures CLOSELY before buying if looking at online, and above all to ask the dealer on the phone about anything you don't fully understand.

A point to consider is that you are usually buying a high-end luxury or semi-luxury watch that's never been owned at half or more less than the cost of one bought at an authorized dealer physical store. Think about it. There's a "price" you pay for that much savings, namely that you will normally NOT have an OEM warranty, but rather one if offered from the actual seller company. Also, you may be looking at or considering a watch with NO MANUFACTURER SERIAL NUMBERS, even though it's really genuine and authentic. It's sometimes the case that serial numbers had to be professionally removed on what is otherwise an authentic watch due to OEM legal requirements and depending on where the stock was obtained. If considering a purchase, make sure the one you're after has the manufacturer serial numbers, and it's easy enough to verify that with item descriptions and/or item photos on a website, or by specifically asking a salesperson on the phone. It's not a matter of these type dealers trying to hide something or doing a "ripoff" as at least one person posted, it's more a matter that they figure anyone spending upwards of a grand would have half a brain and know what they're doing. It's not their job to go out of their way to keep someone from being ignorant (think new car dealer).

I only post this due to being a bit put off by several people slamming this particular company, with problems caused by their lack of knowledge about what they were buying, and possibly to help
others if considering a purchase this way. And no, I don't work for that company nor know anyone that does, but I did recently order an Omega Speedmaster Reduced (Automatic) from them, and could not be happier with my purchase. For much, much less than the cost of a brand new model from an authorized dealer store, I got a never-owned one in immaculate condition with all the original packaging, owner's manual, and model/serial/movement-numbers tag, and had the authenticity verified by a dealer and by e-mail contacting the Omega watch company with the serial. A great purchase, but I had done my homework and understood that the one I was buying DID have the serial number on the watch, that I would NOT have an Omega warranty, etc. A little self-education equals no nasty surprises.

The OEM companies tolerate these "gray market" dealers, and actually find them beneficial. If an authorized physical store seller ends up with stock that didn't sell, or that they can't sell as new due to being display models or having been replaced by newer models, they have an outlet for recouping some or all of their cost from their OEM stock orders. Otherwise, they would ultimately lose money and it wouldn't be good for their business or the OEM's.

In general, the company referenced above is good and legitimate, and there are others like it. They are a good source of buying genuine, authentic merchandise at a sizable savings, and especially for older models that you fancy but that dealer stores no longer carry. I've also ordered watches from www.bernardwatch.com with great experiences, just to mention another. Another quick bit of advice, for what it's worth. Be careful with eBay watch sellers that are individuals, regardless of their length of membership, number of sales, and ratings. Some are very good and some are dubious at best. And it's not uncommon for some to replace inner movement parts, bracelets, etc., with other parts to "restore" a piece for sale. The only way to 100% be sure any watch bought online is 100% authentic is to have it inspected by an authorized dealer of that brand, including removing the case back and inspecting the movement. Sellers count on the fact that most people will never go to the trouble and cost of doing that unless there's an obvious fake look about one or a problem with it functioning properly, and will of course provide a glowing member rating on an eBay purchase after receiving the item and without having it checked out.

Thanks for your time in reading this!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE