The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Which of these two Seamasters is the more collectible on

: Hi again.. and thanks for the response! I apologize for the
: ambiguity of my question, and had to re-think my real intent.
: I'm not a speculator, but am looking for an older Omega dress
: watch- in the $1000 range- that will hold up to daily wear. Your
: comment about the limited production/ parts of the Polaris tells
: me that it could be problematic, over time... but maybe it is
: more collectible? I sure do like the look of the mixed metals,
: but I guess the DeVille is a more prudent choice(?)

: Thanks again, RAF

I was not implying that you are a speculator, merely that buying something and hoping it goes up in price is speculation.

Omega has always made quartz and mechanical watches of superior quality.

If you are looking for a watch to last for three generations, buy the mechanical. In another thread here, you will see the 1913 Omega pocket chronograph I recently obtained. Mechanical watches, properly maintained, last nearly forever.

If you are looking for a watch for the next 5 to 10 years, the quartz is likely just fine: a cost of $100-$200 per year even if you have to throw it away at the end of the time. I own several quartz from the same era as the Polaris, including this chronograph:

I don't expect them to fail anytime soon, but have few illusions about the certainty of repair. Although I do note Omega has publicly committed to maintaining parts stock for all models for 15 years after the end of production. If production ended in 1985, that would have been through 2000 . . . . so that is not that long ago.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE