The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

My Omegas and a few questions *pics* (kinda long)

Hello all,

First off, Thanks for any and all help I receive. I am relatively young and relatively new to collecting vintage watches, but I find that I am drawn like a moth to a flame. I have a lot of what I consider nice vintage watches, but I would like to share my small Omega collection (if it can be called a collection at 4) with you all and ask a few questions also. Nothing spectacular, but I like them all the same.

Hopefully I have the image thing figured out.

My first vintage Omega was a 17j stainless steel cal. 266 with a waffle dial.

Then I found a 17j cal. r17,8sc 40microns gold filled with a bronze colored metal dial.

Probably gonna pick up a second hand from Otto Frei. It's the only place I have been able to find one.

Next I came across a Seamaster 17j ca.351 14k gold capped, ss screw back, dial appears green to me(partially color-blind). I have it on a gf JB "NASA" mesh band.

I will probably pick up a correct crown when I get the second hand for the other watch.

Lastly, I aquired a Seamaster De Ville 17j cal.560 adj. 2 positions, in a stainless steel monocoque case with a gold colored dial and date window.

This is the one I have questions on.

According to Omega the production for this caliber was 3,000 pieces total. From what I can find, those movements were spread out across 4 models, three of them being Seamaster De Ville's and one simply an Omega Automatic.

The only cases that come up on the Omega web site for this cal. are 14k solid gold, gold filled and stainless with a solid gold bezel for the De Villes. Gold filled only for the auto.

I sent an inquiry to the Omega vintage department with the following information: cal 560, serial number 20708709, reference number 166.020, along with case material, dial color, functions, ect.. The reply I got was information on a gold capped stainless steel cal. 562/565 model Seamaster De Ville which is what reference number 166.0020 brings up on the website. I am hesitant to re-request the information because I do not want to be bothersome, especially if the result will be the same.

I would really like to know how many of the caliber 560 movements were adjusted, as mine is. I would also like to know how many were housed in stainless steel cases with stainless bezel. I understand that it is possible that my movement was transplanted, but in speaking with the previous owner I really don't believe that it was. I also understand that these could be very difficult questions to answer, but I really do appreciate any and all info you can give me.

I look forward to being any help I may be able to be, and to also have a place I can get help when I need it. Any and all questions or comments are welcome.

Thanks again,

Curtis

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE