The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: My Omegas and a few questions *pics* (kinda long)

First, congratulations on a fine collection -- or what more likely is the start of a collection.

I also have a 1964 Seamaster De Ville with calibre 560. Coincidentally, I wore it yesterday.

A few basics: the 560-565 series is part of what some consider the pinnacle of Omega's watchmaking. These movements were the finest mass produced movements ever made to that point. However, while the majority of these movements were 24 jeweled, some of which were tuned and chronometer tested and certified, some were not.

560 -- 17 jewels
561 -- 24 jewels, chronometer
562 -- 24 jewels

563 -- 17 jewels, quick set date (push-pull)
564 -- 24 jewels, quick set date (push-pull), chronometer
565 -- 24 jewels, quick set date (push-pull)

So the 560 and 563 were "lesser brothers" and were used only in lower priced watches. Also, these were the date models. Change the middle digit to 5 and you have the no date models: 550, 551 and 552.

Another basic: the Omega vintage database online, while the best source of information available from any manufacturer, is not 1) even remotely close to complete, nor 2) completely accurate. It also has incomplete serial number records -- they don't have a record on every watch.

Further, Omega appears to have kept records watch-by-watch (in that era) on microfilm (as well as paper, I think) as watches were completed and simply does not have the ability to tabulate production except by calibre. (Omega assigned sequences of serial numbers to calibres and can count the numbers produced by seeing how many left the factory in a series.)

Now to your questions --

: According to Omega the production for this caliber was 3,000 pieces
: total. From what I can find, those movements were spread out
: across 4 models, three of them being Seamaster De Ville's and
: one simply an Omega Automatic.

I didn't check, but this sounds reasonable.

: The only cases that come up on the Omega web site for this cal. are
: 14k solid gold, gold filled and stainless with a solid gold
: bezel for the De Villes. Gold filled only for the auto.

Case information is one of the areas where information is likely to be spotty; often the case information and prices are taken from the sales documents, catalogs and price lists the Omega Museum has, which are certainly incomplete.

: I sent an inquiry to the Omega vintage department with the
: following information: cal 560, serial number 20708709,
: reference number 166.020, along with case material, dial color,
: functions, ect.. The reply I got was information on a gold
: capped stainless steel cal. 562/565 model Seamaster De Ville
: which is what reference number 166.0020 brings up on the
: website. I am hesitant to re-request the information because I
: do not want to be bothersome, especially if the result will be
: the same.

The serial number is engraved on the bridge of the movement, not the base plate. The calibre number is engraved on the same bridge. This makes it unlikely the serial number doesn't really belong with a calibre 560.

The reference number was likely the basis of Omega's response (which I assume you got for free), which they believe was used with the date model Seamasters, 24 jewel, not certified.

Your watch could have had the bridge changed, which is uncommon, but not unheard of. Or Omega could have incomplete or incorrect information, which is also uncommon, but not unheard of.

: I would really like to know how many of the caliber 560 movements
: were adjusted, as mine is. I would also like to know how many
: were housed in stainless steel cases with stainless bezel. I
: understand that it is possible that my movement was
: transplanted, but in speaking with the previous owner I really
: don't believe that it was. I also understand that these could be
: very difficult questions to answer, but I really do appreciate
: any and all info you can give me.

If your watch says it is adjusted, I doubt it is an unaltered calibre 560. "Adjusted" usually only appeared on the movements of chronometer model watches, and generally indicated a more expensive watch. This engraving appeared on another bridge, one which is more often replaced (sometimes to make a non-chronometer watch appear to be one).

To my knowledge, no calibre 560 was ever certified as a chronometer.

Why do you believe your watch is "adjusted"?

: I look forward to being any help I may be able to be, and to also
: have a place I can get help when I need it. Any and all
: questions or comments are welcome.

: Thanks again,

: Curtis

Welcome, Curtis

Hope this helps, and hope to see you here again soon.

Sam

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE