The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Autavia " Jo Siffert "
In Response To: Re: Autavia " Jo Siffert " ()

I am a complete novice and have no watch expertise other then having bought a Cartier tank watch for my daughter years ago. I decided to replace my everyday 20 year old Seiko quartz Chronograph with a late 60's automatic chronometer simply because I like the looks and better quality of an automatic. I was originally looking at Breitling, but became fond of the Siffert Autavia (I believe it's proper model #is 1163T)I was also a great fan of Jo Siffert in F1 until his unfortunate demise.
Now my question is what should I look out for when buying one? Is it common to fake them? What are the telltale signs? What does CAL 11 and CAL 12 mean? Is the Viceroy a cheaper. different model to the Siffert? If it is an autavia chronometer with blue hands does that mean it's a Siffert? The price guide says they are worth $2500-3000, would you agree? Any advice would be much appreciated, and if there's anything you want to know about vintage Alfa Romeos, maybe I can help.
Oliver

The ref V under the 1163 number would normally
: indicate that the case was from the Viceroy
: model. The version in your picture i believe
: is a Caliber 12 {although i have come across
: these dial versions with Caliber 11'S}. I
: might be wrong {jeff is better placed to
: answer this} but i believe either the dial
: or the case has been changed on your watch,
: so you have a Siffert Dial in a Viceroy
: Case.

: The Autavia has so many case variants due to
: the success of the Viceroy promotion and the
: intensive production methods employed by
: Heuer to keep up with the demand...ie
: several different case makers, that its
: difficult to present a comprehensive guide,
: although you could check out the ref guide
: here. However your watch looks great and and
: the fact that the dial or case may have been
: changed will only matter to some people, so
: if your happy with it, i'd enjoy it.
: Best Regards
: Bryan

: Hi,

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE