The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Good news - needle found - in haystack

I have been looking forward to posting a good news story - i think getting a good story is half the fun. So here it is - i think.

My first Heuer, came from Mexico on ebay a couple of months back - a 2446C GMT. It had the standard faded bezel and was also missing the GMT hand. Everything else great except it only ran for a few hours before stopping. All that would be easy to fix I naively thought. But, as you all know, that presumption was incorrect.

David told me the GMT hand shouldnt be much of an issue but I sort of gave up on the bezel in my mind. I decided to ask my local LVMH (Australia) for the GMT hand - i figured they would charge me between 150 - 200 US - and i would then look elsewhere or pay LVMH (through my nose). While at LVMH asking for the GMT hand, I was feeling bold so, I decided to throw in a request for a bezel and bracelet as well - i specifically requested no service, cause i new i wouldnt be able to afford it as well having asked for a service on my TAG previously. They told me they will have to send the watch to Switzerland to find out - apparently they wont even tell the local LVMH over the phone whether they have the parts. So i took a punt and sent it off.

Anyhow to cut it short(ish), I got the watch back yesterday with:
- a brand spanking new bezel (original to model)
- a full set of hands
- a new crystal and
- a leather tag heuer strap with a brand new heuer buckle!

Furthermore, it has been ticking away since I picked it up from LVMH (and polished), keeping perfect time - so I think they serviced it as well (is there anyway I can tell conclusively whether they serviced it).

And to top it off, I got all the old parts back!

How much you ask???? $350US!!!

The moral is it sometimes pays to ask the question yourself.

Good luck to others who search for the same.

Lucas

P.S. Any tips on how to protect the damn bezel now I have it?
P.P.S It now has a red second hand instead of the white (which I have in a bag). Should I leave the red one on?
P.P.P.S Thanks to those who provided advice in the interim.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE