The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The tale of the MOAT is a tale of it's own!
In Response To: Wow...that MOAT looks like ... ()

...quite a project! Good luck with it. Have you got one built for the Omegas yet? ;-)

Actually, up until about 8 months ago Omega's were a lot easier to document than Heuer's, but between the catalong holdings of Bruce Mackie, David Alstott, Jeff Stein and myself, and with the "seed table" of Bruce Mackie's genius, it has turned completely around. Frankly, I've spent so much time on Omega's the past 3 and a half years and Heuers have been so neglected that I think they deserve their time in the sun. Besides, I have hardly any Omega Catalogs!

Bruce passed around electronically an Excel Spreadsheet (DataBase? I forget) that he had compiled in his travels. Nice, but not particularly handy for display on a website. So I played around with it for a few hours and figured out a way to massage the data into HTML that didn't cost me my sanity. Then the decision was made to make the Autavia the first model to get "the works"... When we started out with Bruce's "seedling" table we had either 14 or 16 entries. The current table has 3 times that number. As we get the time and more catalogs we will be doing for the other tables what we've done for the Autavia Table. In fact I have updates to four of the tables "In The Can" and waiting for re-integration with the MOAT Table. And so it goes.

As for how the tables are generated... I have experience from doing tables in the past with articles I've written on Omegas. It's closest relative in Omegadom is "Dimensions of Selected Omega Chronographs..." And you can see some of what I'd like to see us add in that table in that you can click on parts of the table and be linked to more detailed information on a specific model. However... The MOAT was all "clean-paper" HTML generation. I copied none of the code I used for the Omega table's I've done in the past so it's =) 0% recycled post consumer product! And I think the table shows. I'm pleased how they turned out, even though I'd like to see it in 940 or 960 wide instead of 740 wide!

As time and demands permit, I'll divide my time between Omega and Heuer (and other) committments. Hopefully eeking out a balance somewhere...

Enjoy!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox (Article index at: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE