The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Caliber 561... Nope....wouldn't swap it!

Hi Gary.....nope, wouldn't swap it for a quartz no matter what! As a practical matter, i do realize that the currently great timekeeping of this watch may change over a longer period of time. But i do try to wear a mechanical watch pretty uniformaly however, .....which is fairly easy for me as i work as bench jeweler 7 days a week so my mode of wear is pretty equalized. This is most likely a large part of the reason the watch is so consistant. I even wear it to bed.......never want a burgler to have a nice watch as "easy" pickins sitting on the table while i'm asleep! LOL

A mechanical high grade watch has been a regular part of my life for many years.....probably 30 of my 47. I feel more connected to them with the heart beat like ticking, and have missed it on the very few quartz watches i've owned in the past. About the only thing that came close was an early Bulova "Spaceview" Accutron i owned for awhile when they first came out.....but there's a whole lot of mechanical things going on there also.

Always liked that watch......that Accutron was my first "hummer"! hehe

Joe T

: Joseph,
: It has often passed through my mind that we
: hear of watches, like your 561 was that are
: a few seconds fast or slow per day. In
: reality they are probably 2.034829374 secs
: fast or maybe 1.9834826 secs slow. I suppose
: therefore that there is nothing at all to
: prevent a watch being 0.0000secs fast or
: slow - it's just another number. Granted,
: it's a quite remarkable number, but
: nevertheless, a number.

: Tell us, now it's running like a quartz, would
: you swap it for a quartz to ensure the same
: accuracy? Or do you find the odd second gain
: or loss (that you used to have) mildly
: satisfying. I know I feel quite involved
: when adjusting the time on my old Seamaster
: every now and again. As someone else around
: here said, "A quartz watch is an
: appliance, a mechanical watch is a pet"
: - has your pet become independent?

: Gary

: Hi all......just thought i would relay to

Messages In This Thread

Caliber 561 "Super" Accurate!!
Re: Caliber 561 "Super" Accurate!!
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE