The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

It's a call you have to make....
In Response To: Omega Auto v. Quartz ()

It all depends on what you want the watch for. Some people like quartz because it's hassle-free and keeps super accurate time. Others wants automatics because a watch that requires no outside power fascinates them. It's pretty much up to you.

If you get a quartz, you'll be replacing a battery every few years and updating the date every once in a while. That's about all the hassle a quartz watch has.

If you get an automatic, you may have to wind it every now and then if you don't wear it a lot. You may have to re-adjust the time every now and then to correct for the relative inaccuracy (if you care about one or two seconds).

For most people, they do not NEED the insane accuracy of a quartz watch. Most of the time you can get the feel for your automatic and have it keep pretty good time (put it in a certain position at night).

Another thing to consider is that a quartz watch can take a little more of a beating than an automatic. An auto has many moving parts, although the new Co-axials have a sprung balance which means it can take a little more shock.

I own both a quartz and an auto. I first bought a quartz watch (SMP Midsize Quartz) around last Thanksgiving. I love it very much, but I kept getting that itch. A few weeks ago I purchased a Seamaster Aqua Terra (38mm co-axial). I LOVE it. I honestly don't think I can go back to a quartz now. I won't sell my SMP, but I also don't plan on purchasing another quartz. For those instances where I need a watch that can take a little impact (snowboarding), I'll wear my SMP, otherwise I'm always wearing my Aqua Terra.

You can also find some articles on TimeZone on why maybe people like mechanical watches more than quartz - I believe the article spoke to the point of having something "to take care of." You will also find many people saying that a mechanical watch (whether it's an auto or not) has a soul of its own.

Hope this helped - if you have any more questions, ask.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE