The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Seamaster losing prestige
In Response To: Seamaster losing prestige ()

My guess is that the James Bond appearances have contributed to more SMPs being purchased, however not in the way you stated here. I think that most people don't buy the watch because they think they are James Bond or feel more like him. I think they buy the watch because they see it in the movies/advertisements and realize it's a really nice looking watch.

I also don't think there is any problem with a lot of people owning the watch. It doesn't make it any less valuable to me, personally. I got that watch because I liked it, not because of a movie. (Note, my daily wear is now the Seamaster Aqua Terra).

And to comment on the Omega watches at Costco. I saw them too and looked into it. They are not an authorized dealer, and therefore have to offer their own warranty on it, since Omega will not.

: The Seamaster no doubt is a nice timepiece but
: has it become too mainstream?
: It seems that everywhere you look, buyers
: especially new buyers are going for the
: Seamaster. This of course is due to James
: Bond movies and the option of picking quartz
: movement which can make this watch under a
: 1k, therefore just about anyone is buying
: this watch. It’s sad but I have seen the
: Seamaster even in Costco at discounted
: prices. So the question remains- has the
: Seamaster become a relatively inexpensive
: mainstream theme watch for the masses?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE