The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

I've had it with Bailey Banks & Biddle

Well to be honest only partially them, and mostly the watchmaker they use that is "excellent, and has much experience with fine wristwatches."

Allow me to start from the beginning. I left my watch with Bailey Banks & Biddle (here on known as BBB) for a replacment of gaskets and refinishing of ENTIRE watch. I get a call about 1.5 weeks later with a price quote of $270.00 for (normal) service, crown gasket, caseback gasket, and refinish job. Way more than I was willing to pay especially since I can send it to Omega if I wanted to get it serviced for cheaper.

I decide that I don't want any work but the refinish done and I specifically ask for them to do the sides of the case, clasp, braclet, and bezel (if possible). The woman on the phone agreed and said that would $70-80.00, I told them to go a head with the work.

The BBB where I took it is 1.5 hours away, but the closest retailer to me. I pick up the watch sign a release form, and pay. I take the watch outside the BBB to a better lighted area and I inspect the clasp first (the most scratched area). What do you know its just as I gave it to them scuffs and all! Next I look at the case sides and bezel which were also untouched. (Right now I'm thanking god I didn't let them touch the movement of my watch.)

Next I inspect the bracelet the worst of what they actually did do. I have the Bond SMP so 4 of the 9 links should be polished and the rest brushed, but instead 9 of 9 links were brushed and grain marks could be seen from abrasive used. I payed them for something I could I have done in 20 minutes with some 800 grit sand paper for $5.00.

At this point I was furios and decided I wouldn't go back to them to have them do it correctly because chances are they couldn't.

I can't really blame it on BBB because I don't know if they cover the customer for work their watchmaker does (if that makes sense) incase he screws up terribly.

I doubt all BBBs are like this I have heard some good stories about other locations but my local (if 1.5 hours driving is local) BBB sucked, and I will never set foot in that shop again.

I have however learned two good things from this experience:

1) If you value your Omega than any work, and I mean ANY work that needs to be done should be done in Bienne. Its where the watch was made so you know what kind of quality you're going to get.

2) No matter how messed up the exterior of an SMP gets you still have a top of the line watch and if I had to wear one watch for the rest of my life it would be an SMP.

I hope when I send it to Bienne next April for its 4 year service they will know to polish what needs to be polished.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE