The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: A pin on my SMP buckle broke, what should I do

: Well, I checked with UPS, and the shipping
: should be around $25 each way, and then

You won't have to pay shipping if you take it to a local Authorized Omega Dealer and have them send it for service. Though the dealer may mark up the repair price somewhat.

Or, send it by USPS Priority Mail. You need only send the bracelet itself -- not the watch. Total including insurance for the $425 replacement cost of the bracelet is only $10.

: according to Omega, the pin is $6, and they
: have a minimum labor charge of $30. So,
: it'll be cheaper I guess to order a new
: clasp. Unless I'd be able to just buy that

Replacement clasp is $80 with probably about $6 shipping. Not really a do it yourself replacement part. You can try, but if you muck it up, it would be a stupid outcome for trying to save a few bucks -- which you really won't as the difference is a big ZERO.

Even at your UPS rate of shipping, it would be $25+25+6+30=86 to have it sent and repaired versus the same total of $80+6=86 just to order the clasp. If you send only the bracelet for repair by USPS as I suggested above, cost is only $10+10+6+30=56.

So why go for a do-it-yourself hack solution when it costs the same or less as proper labor repair from the factory service center?

: particular part of the clasp. Also, what
: tools should I purchase to replace the strap
: and clasp? Thanks!

To remove the bracelet, you need a special tool. Do NOT buy a standard strap tool (usually black plastic handle with two black metal tips) because the end is too big. Get a narrow tip bracelet tool like the Bergeron 6111 from ofrei.com.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE