The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Omega prices have been going up the past few years
In Response To: OMEGA prices going up??? ()

The past few years, Omega has been on the course of raising prices. Going Upmarket so to say. To support this, they've released new movements, added new models, improved quality and discontinued lower end models. This has happened over the past 3 or 4 years. At one point, they actually caught themselves offguard by raising prices too much. This can be seen in the $1200 price difference between the Speedmaster Broad Arrow and the Seamaster America's Cup Chronograph. Both with the same movement, with the Seamaster ACC being 300 meters Water Resistant rather than 100 meters for the Broad Arrow. The Seamaster America's Cup Chronograph was originally set to come out with a much higher price. Then they realized it was a bad strategy with the downturn of the economy. A large disparity can also be seen between the DeVille Co-Axial Chronometer and the Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronometer. The later having more water resistance and a Sapphire Caseback.

I've not heard anything about the Aqua Terra prices going up, and I doubt it will happen in January. It could be a bluff by the sales person.

Currently, the Seamaster Professional finds itself situated as the least expensive mechanical model in the entire Omega line-up. I'm guessing Omega will revamp the model in the next year or two, probably with the Co-Axial Esacapement. If so, I would expect the price to rise $900 - $1000. I think it is rare that Omega actually raises the price on a set model. What we've seen from them in the past four years or more is higher prices on new models. Occassionally they will raise the price on an existing model, but usually find some modification to justify it, such as the latest bracelet on the Speedmaster Pro, mostly cosmetic changes on the Speedmaster Pro X-33, or the addition of the Sapphire Crystal for the Speedmaster Pro w/Display Back model 3573.50.00. Each of those rose in increments of $300 over the past few years. The Aqua Terra was just released last year, and I don't expect them to make any changes to justify a price increase. In fact, they've added new models to the line, and the prices have remained the same. Those models are the Railmaster, the Silver Dial - Blue Hands, and the Silver Dial - 18k Rose Gold Hands (which would have been justification enough to jack up the price a couple hundred dollars).

I'm guessing prices are safe on the Aqua Terra for now. If they do raise in January, they won't all go up overnight. There will still be stock at the older prices in the Distribution Network. Omega does not decide to raise it's prices, then call all the Dealers and have them change the sticker prices in their display cases. It doesn't work that way. You should have time to find what you want at the lower price.

I'll post if I hear anything from my Dealer about prices going up.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE