The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Seamaster or Speedmaster? *LINK*
In Response To: Re: Seamaster or Speedmaster? ()

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that any Omega is weak at all. If one is truly objective today about watches, one has to agree that in general, the two manufacturers who make the toughest watches around are Rolex and Omega. And while Rolex's in-house movements sometimes look crude, they are tough as nails. So are Omega's movements after Omega tweaks the ETA units. Of course the Lemania movements in the Speedmaster Professionals can just about be considered in house movements since Omega has owned Lemania forever now. The cases contribute a lot as well. I think there is plenty of shock resistance in a caliber 1120. It is just that Abert Piguet's masterpieces in the form of the Lemania Caliber 321/851 are tanks without the crudeness of Rolex. Some say Albert Piguet wasn't even that surprised when he found out that the Speedmaster sporting his movement was the only watch that survived the NASA tests. He designed it that way. As for the chronograph being a source of potential problems, I strongly disagree. If it were a piggyback unit, maybe. But not on a movement that was conceived as a chronograph. I could say the same for the Valjoux 7750. But compared to a 7750, there is less to break in a Lemania Omega caliber 321/851. There is also no date mechanism which is arguably the weakest part of any movement along with the automatic winding system and the rotor and shaft. The Lemania calibers are almost agrarian in nature. Like tractors. Just put a speedmaster to your ear and listen. Whenever I travel, I am always looking for some good old speedys that might be worthwhile to pick up to restore. I have never picked one up that had the either the chronograph functions or anything else for that matter not work. Of course it can happen, but this is a tough watch. Most mechanical movements last forever with the right kind of maintenance. My wife has been wearing an auto Rolex since the late eighties when she was in highschool. When she got it, the watch was already over a decade old. She plays tennis every day and the thing is still ticking. Of course it goes in every five years. But I still think there is less to go wrong in a Speedmaster Pro with manual wind. The hesalite crystal is a non-issue. And I will argue with anybody that says otherwise. Same for the crown. It is more than well protected. Besides, I have seen some seventies Speedys where the bezel is beat to hell but the crown still looks great. Of course, why those folks did not change the bezel is beyond me. The only thing in overall durability that the Seamaster has over the Speedmaster is water ristance. Theoretically, in every other factor the Speedmaster should be at least as tough. Though considering that tractor motor inside, probably even more. Again, one cannot forget that even the super tough Daytona, which sported an El Primero movement, did not pass the same NASA tests. Another stupid thing I like about the speedmaster, since it has been made for so long, is the availability of spare parts like crystals, different measurement bezels and even movements. These can be easily found on ebay or Frei & Borel. Just this week, there were two brand new Speedaster cases for sale on ebay. This reminds me of air-cooled Porsche 911 ownership. Harry, ultimately, it is your decision to make. But I am just stating the fact that a lot of people making statents about both the watches don't own both and the statements could be erroneous. I want to state that the Speedmaster is at least as tough. Heck, even Ed White's survived the Apollo 1 fire. Also, I find that some people who own the speedy don't realize themselves how tough it is. Or maybe they have some worries due to the price they paid. Not me. I treat mine like I treat a Swatch. I wear mine 24/7. Most old men that have been wearing them since youth do the same. Sorry for the length of the posts, but I feel that Speedmaster needs the right things to be said about it. Even in this forum. For some good Speedy pictures, go to the link below.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE