The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Seamaster Pro Chronograph
In Response To: Seamaster Pro Chronograph ()

Congratulations, George, it's a great watch.Perfectly balanced and shaped, destined to be a future classic.
Now, some quick answers to your questions;

1)The wet-suit extension clasp is easy to deploy, but can be really tricky to re-set. It's a little difficult to explain on paper (so to speak), so I suggest you take it to an Omega dealer who really knows his stuff and get him (or her) to explain it to you... ahh, what the hell. Okay, now listen closely- hold the watch by the clasp in one hand then pull down on the bracelet with the other. Use a little force. Trust me, you won't break it. This watch is virtually bomb-proof. The extension clasp should pop open. Now the har-, er, fun part. You should see two bars protuding from beneath the clasp. In between these bars is a single bar that has a slightly curved 'scoop-like' end to it. When you try to close the extension clasp, you might notice that this scoop rests against a bar underneath the clasp. Now here's the thing- this scoop has to rest BEHIND this bar. The only way to do this is to fold the scoop down towards this bar AT A RIGHT ANGLE (sorry, gang, I don't mean to shout. I just haven't figured out how to write in italics or bold on this forum yet.) Confusing as it sounds , this scoop has to scoop its way behind the bar. Anyway, once you've folded the scoop behind the bar, you then press the other end of the scoop flat against the clasp. You should hear a satisfying 'snap' as it locks back into place. And that about does it. Anybody out there with an SMP, please tell me; did that explanation make any sense to you? If so, then great! If not, then I'm not the aspiring screenwriter that I thought I was.

2)I don't have a clue.

3)Just in case you were misinformed, don't set the date between the hours of 8.00pm and 2.00am. If you really wanna play it safe, make that 7.00pm and 4.00am.
One possible pitfall- I used to give my SMP a few quick flick-of-the-wrist shakes to get it started if I hadn't worn it for a while. Nowadays, when the hands are right on the hour, I notice that the hour hand is slightly 'off'. Now I don't know if those quick shakes had anything to do with it, but you never know. My watch is due for a service at the end of this year, so I'll get it corrected then.
Another possible pitfall- If you're the kinda guy who takes a scaldingly hot shower every morning like clockwork, with your watch on, bear in mind that the sudden changes in temperature may cause the case-metal to expand and contract. This could weaken the area around the crown to the point where water would get into the case. We're talking years of very hot showers, here, but it is a possibility. Also, shampoos and soaps can deteriorate the rubber seals around the crown over time. All this is highly unlikely, but worth considering, all the same. Although, it's a good idea to wear your watch in the shower from time to time as a no-fuss way of cleaning the watch. Much like P.J. O'Rourke's Bachelor's Guide where he outlines the method of taking dirty dishes into the shower with you the next time you wash as a way to save time and money.

4)No, but don't be surprised if they bring out a new version within the next six months. Although the America's Cup chrono is pretty much the new version of the SMP chrono. Sort of.

5)I had an automatic winder...but he died. Just kidding.

Gee, George, I do go on, don't I? I hope this has been of help to you. Enjoy the watch.

teeritz

Messages In This Thread

Seamaster Pro Chronograph
Re: Seamaster Pro Chronograph
Set your winder CW (right direction)>>>
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE