The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: two different brands
In Response To: Re: two different brands ()

: Rolex VS Omega knock down drag out

: Really it depends how much cash you are willing
: to dump on a watch. Rolex watches don't have
: any more features than omega watches. They
: are not any more accurate. With Rolex your
: paying more just for the brand name. I
: suppose there is nothing wrong with that.
: People paying for brand names is what our
: entire consumer culture is based around.

: The way I see it. People who know about and
: like watches will probably complement you on
: your Rolex as they think to themselves that
: you are a slave to marketing. People who
: don't know about watches will complement you
: on your Rolex as they think to themselves
: that your are a big sucker to drop 4 grand
: on a watch when their timex tells time just
: as well.

: Of course a big part of me chosing Omega is
: that my father has one that he got in 1953.
: It still runs and as far as I know has never
: been serviced. That 51 year vote of
: convidence in Omega plus "family
: tradition" if you will nudded me
: towards Omega.

: Every now and then I think. "Hmm maybe
: some day I'll get another auto and it will
: be a Sub." I know that if I ever buy a
: Rolex I'll feel a bit like a slave to
: marketing but I'd still prob enjoy the
: watch.

I, as a new Omega owner, will share this limited opinion as someone who has more research experience than ownership experience (thanks to this website and Timezone.com). When I started out wanting to buy a luxury watch, the first thing that I did was go to Rolex.com. That's where I think most people who aren't in the know about luxury watches will start. I next went to Tag Heuer's website, which didn't impress me.

Eventually, after days of gathering info, I ended up here. After reading everything that Derek posted, and the discussions, I started to warm up to Omega. Eventually, I went through everything that everyone else who locks on to Omega goes through. Quartz vs. Auto, Full size or Mid size etc. and I finally own a 38mm AT. I have made numerous visits to jewelry stores and tried on Omega, Rolex and Tag Heuer watches. Basically, Tag Heuer fell off of my radar screen early. It became Rolex vs. Omega for me, and eventually, Omega won. I love the Submariner, but like a lot of people, I found that Omega watches had everything that I loved about Rolex watches plus a signigicantly lower price. I will someday own a Submariner, but the feeling I got the day I received my AT and have been staring at it ever since is undescribeable. If you want to spend the $$ or Rolex, go ahead. Nobody would fault you for buying a quality timepiece. If you want to buy a quality timepiece and use the rest of the $$ to go on vacation or something else, then go Omega. I don't regret buying Omega at all. I know I'll have it for a long time, and I now have a reason to post on this message board instead of just read.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE