The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Overpriced? Say's who?
In Response To: Overpriced? Say's who? ()

I hear what your saying but if you want to give to charity why not just give to charity yourself. Rolex giving to charity really doesn't bear on the qualty VS price issue.

Also it seems like those watches that cost in the hundreds of thousands are ether truly hand made with very small production runs, or have unique complications. Nether of which is true of Rolex. (I'm getting this right from Chronocentric. It's not like I went out and interviewed people who work for high end watch makers)

Rolex is so expensive for the same reason any consumer item is. Because people "think" it's worth it. The intrinsic value of the item has no bearing on the retail price.

: I used to feel exactly the same way, so please
: don't take this personally. I have both a
: Rolex Submariner, and an Omega 2254.50 SMP.
: It's my humble opinion that in this world of
: high-end watches that can cost up to
: hundreds of thousand of dollars, the Rolex
: is actually 'reasonably' priced in
: comparison.

: If you consider their history and so on, they
: should 'theoretically' cost more. I posted a
: question on the TZ forum concerning the
: business end of Rolex, which was graciously
: answered by Stan Sirody as follows: "In
: 1945, Hans Wilsdorf , then the sole owner of
: Rolex and heirless, placed >>> Mar
: 24, 2004 - 06:18 PM

: ... the company into a charitable trust (the
: Wilsdorf Foundation), with two main
: conditions: that the Company would never be
: sold and that it would never be traded
: publicly.

: Wilsdorf died in 1960. Three years later, in
: accordance with the instructions he left,
: stewardship was turned over to Andre
: Heiniger. Today his son Patrick is the GM.

: Aside from many charities it supports, Rolex
: also has a program to support and mentor
: young people in the arts and currently is
: involved in the Watch Technicum program,
: whereby talented American apprentices are
: taught watchmaking in Lititz, PA on
: scholarships supplied by Rolex.

: Rolex also initiated the WOSTEP program, which
: also teaches watchmaking, and sponsors many
: charity events worldwide."

: Having learned that, I don't mind now having
: paid a little more. In conclusion, I don't
: consider Rolex overpriced, I find Omega less
: expensive! Thank God!

: Please accept this in the spirit it's intended.

: Regards,

: Dave

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE