The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: .....and for this reason should be TWO version

Well considering that almost no one actually need the HRV trying to sell to the few people who do would be a big waist of omegas time.

I'm sure the great majority or people who buy the sea dweller buy it because they like it better for whatever reason (no mag over the date, Thicker watch) not because the are exploring the oceans floor.

As for the look of the HRV on the SMP, I like the look of it a lot. It's one of the things that first caught my eye when looking at watches. But from what you say below it sounds like you really have your finger on the pulse of the Omega community. Though it is king of a funny statement considering the full size SMP is Omega's best seller. Imagine all those people buying a watch with a extra valve that they don't like...

: In any case......that stupid looking valve on
: the Omega SMP is a real turn off to me, and
: i'd venture a whole lot of other Omega
: folks.

: .....and it is for this reason (that so few
: actually need the feature).....that Omega
: should offer TWO versions of the SMP.

: Basically that's what Rolex does, by offering
: the Sea Dweller as better suited to deep
: diving with a thicker crystal and sans
: magnifying window (which dosn't work with a
: thicker crystal anyway, from what i read).
: The Submariner for everyone doing more
: casual water sports and scuba.

: True......only one of the Rolex
: "Diving" watches has a Helium
: escape valve, (the Sea Dweller has an
: automatic valve built into the side of the
: case.....and unabtrusive as such). So the
: Submariner could be subject to a crystal
: popping off in a drastic pressure change
: situation. But could not the crown be
: loostened in a diving bell to ease the
: pressure? Of course! Certainly you can't
: open the Helium valve on the Omega under
: water anyway! A crown loosening would make
: more sense......provided the watch was
: wipped down a bit and not saoking wet. Also
: would require remembering to reseal the
: crown!

: In any case......that stupid looking valve on
: the Omega SMP is a real turn off to me, and
: i'd venture a whole lot of other Omega
: folks.

: Omega......offer it to those that really need
: it, .... and leave it off for the rest of
: us!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE