The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: how fake are the omegas getting?

: Hi, I have read on this forum that fake omegas
: are getting very very good. I am a die-hard
: omega collector and I have several
: seamasters and speedmasters. Hearing this
: fact is very disturbing for us omega
: fanatics. could someone give me some
: information on it? are the fakes really
: becoming indistinguishable? at least on the
: outside?

Well the other weekend I was in NYC and saw a few street vendors with briefcases of replica / fake watches. I was wearing my Rolex Explorer II white face and the guy selling them said, "Where did you get that one my friend?" I told him at a jewlery store and nodded. He said, "Whoa, that a real one huh, well why don't you buy a fake one so you won't mess up that pretty thing"

Well I have to admit I looked at the watches he had. There was one "Bond" model and I found it didn't feel or even look like the real thing. Looked like total JUNK. I'm not sure how the average Joe would feel but to me it looks real bad and poorly made. It had a see-thru back, and the blue paint was already chipping away around the bezel. The thing didn't "wake up" when I shook it so who knows if it really works. The guy wanted $100 for it. I put it back down and then he said, "How much do you have?" I ignored him and went on to look at all the junky made Rolex watches he had. Boy they look REALLY BAD. I would be very embarassed if I wore any replica Rolex that looked like the ones he had. The dails were WAY off on all the datejusts. He had one Submariner in blue with fake gold and it looked real cheap. Like the gold could flake off. There was one Rolex replica I found that looked good... A Daytona. White face, with gold trim/bezel. I have to say the thing looked impressive! Pretty accurate markings, quartz movement, fake chronograph, even had a real hologram sticker on the back of it (no idea where they got it) and a fake serial number. The guy wanted $200 for it and someone said, "$60". He said "OK". Was going to inspect a fake Chronoswiss Pathos but good ol NYPD ran over and screamed at everyone to "MOVE ON!"

If you are ever in NYC you can be sure there will be street vendors with briefcases full of fake watches. In reality, ITS NOT WORTH THE MONEY OR TIME. I just wanted to look at them to see how well they are made. And the answer to that is very poorly! As you can see these guys ask for $200 for a Rolex Daytona fake yet when some guy pulled out $60 he sold it. You do the math.

It was scary how real the Daytona looked...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE