The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Lots of reasons, but not a good comparison
In Response To: Why is the broad arrow... ()

Not a good comparison because, it is my opinion that, the Broad Arrow is overpriced by $800 - $1000 compared to the Seamaster Professional Chronograph (America's Cup 2594.50.00, Non-America's Cup 2594.52.00). Both list for $3495 US MSRP on Bracelet compared to the Speedmaster Broad Arrow which lists for $4495 on bracelet. The Seamaster Pro Chronographs are also Water Resistant to 300 meters while the Broad Arrow is "only" water resistant to 100 meters. I'll give the BA the bennefit of a doubt for the bracelet, because it is head and shoulders above the Seamaster Pro Chrono. Both watches use Caliber 3303 or 3301. I think $4495 is a better match for the DeVille Co-Axial Chronogaph (on strap) with Omega Caliber 3313. It ads the Co-Axial Escapement to the movement and also has a Sappire Caseback. The Speedmaster Date uses Omega Caliber 1152 which is a modified ETA/Valjoux 7750.

Caliber 33xx is an exclusive movement to Omega developed and manufactured in conjunction with F. Piquet. It has is a column wheel chronogrpah mechanism as opposed to a cam chronograph mechanism in the Speedmaster Date. A column wheel is generally considered more expensive and harder to manufacture. IMO it also provides a crisper chronograph function. It has a Free Sprung Balance and is a Certified Chronometer (most of the other Speedmasters, including the Pro and Date are not). It is in a higher grade catagory than Cal 1152 because of it's exclusivity, column wheel mechanism, free sprung balance and craftsmanship.

The Broad Arrow is rated to 100 meters water resistance while the Speedmaster Date is rated to 30 meters water resistance. The BA has a screw down caseback while the Speedmaster Date has a press fit Caseback (I beleive).

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE