The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: The real things
In Response To: The real things ()

The problems I find with your reasoning are:

• Wealthy, successful people do not get and stay that way by having a total lack of regard for intelligent thriftiness in their expenditures.

• Your examples of buying mediocre, inferior and not-the-real-thing products at a lower price are completely irrelevant. The point is about buying the EXACT SAME REAL THING at a substantially lesser price.

• Intelligent people know that the most important factor is the overall value of the transaction. There is often a false economy in excessive thriftiness -- yet there is equal or greater folly in disregarding the actual tangible and intangible values you receive for your money spent.

• Since the primary purpose of buying a luxury watch is to please yourself, *you* have to be comfortable with your overall purchase. Feeling like you got the best *value* is to most people the most comfortable outcome. Whether this means spending more to get somewhat intangible items like factory warranties or using authorized dealer *or* spending less and getting the best 'deal' on the tanglble product itself.

If you like to impress yourself with a lack of regard for money on expensive luxury purchases, go ahead and have a ball. But that approach strikes me as somewhat uppity or arrogant -- looking down on those that seek the best value for their money spent. I don't think you'll find a lot of recruits to your line of thinking.

Reminds me of someone I knew a few years ago that believed any item that was put on sale was inherently inferior and she would not touch it. She would even give away items she bought at full price once she saw them go on sale. Of course, she was spending her ex-husbands copious alimony payments, so she had no real incentive to not just throw away money on poor-value purchases for pure entertainment value.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE