The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: What else do i need?
In Response To: What else do i need? ()

: As you can see it is just the case and dial. I
: bought it a whim really (for $30) and I'm
: not sure what else I'll need. Obviously I'll
: need a movement and saphire. What else do i
: need?

You'll need LOTS of other parts. Crown, stem, bezel, gaskets, seals, spacer rings, crystal -- and a lot of professional labor to find the parts, then assemble them all into a working timepiece. A big problem with trying to cheap out using non-OMEGA parts would be the increased labor cost of a watchmaker searching for cheaper parts that would fit that case.

Also understand that "prototype" is a term often used in vintage watch sales to try to pacify buyers with an 'explanation' to cover oddities in pieces of bogus, questionable or unknown origins. Manufacturers like OMEGA do not let their prototypes get out to the public. I suspect the true origin is merely that the case, dial and hands were replacement parts ordered it for a customer, who then decided not to restore his watch when he saw what the total expense would be.

While it sounds neat to try to fix that up into being a functioning watch, it is actually totally impractical to do so -- especially if you are not a watchmaker yourself and have to pay someone to find workable parts and assemble them for you. You would likely go to a couple of hundred dollars of parts and labor expense that would leave you with a Frankenstein watch of random parts, that in the end will probably be worth about $30.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE