The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Omega people

Greetings all,

I've noticed something peculiar and wanted to mention it here and get others' reactions.

Generally speaking, I rarely see anyone wearing an Omega in my daily travels. I live in a major metropolitan area (Chicago), which makes this somewhat surprising, I think. In any case, when I should notice another person wearing an Omega, I get a little excited and I make a point to say hello and compliment his watch, if the situation allows.

Well, in the last couple of months I have run into two Omega wearers: one fellow with a black dial SMP and another with an SMP ACC. I was wearing my Bond SMP (my daily wearer) at the time. In each case, I made a point to say "I like your Omega" (or something to that effect), while not hiding my own watch in my pocket or somesuch, so he might notice we were both Omega wearers.

I would only make such a comment at an appropriate time, and not when it would be uncomfortable... such as on public transportation, when he might expect me to follow the compliment with a blow to the head. Rather, I say this only when the moment is right. For instance, the black dial SMP guy was behind me in the grocery store checkout, and we were both just standing there waiting and staring into space. Perfect time for a little watch chat, no?

What I found troublesome is how both guys (and others with whom I've attempted similar contact in the past) seemed so disinterested to meet another Omega owner. I don't expect to get a big hug and kiss or anything, but perhaps just a nice 30-second conversation while we wait for the cashier to ring up my groceries. Instead I seem to always get an uncomfortable blow-off.

I find the watch community (Omega in particular) to be so very warm and friendly on the Internet, but I have experienced precisely the opposite in face-to-face situations. I wonder, am I the only one with this problem? Perhaps my deodorant does not work as well as I think it does?

GT

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE