The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: I travel through Chicago O'hare frequently....

I think if someone sports an Omega because they really wanted the Rolx then it's a shame. the Omega is a great piece of equipment and somethin like that needs to be carefully chosen..

Of late I've been wanting to upgrade my SMP quartz (I opted for a Bond edition chrono which I ought have on Friday) and I looked at the main watch manufacturers having a pretty good idea of what I needed beforehand and knowing what I do and don't like. I went to my local jeweller who carries Rolex, Tag, Omega and Breitling the only four that really interested me. I got the catalogues and I have been back and forth a LOT to the jeweller to ask questions and see the equipment. They must be sick at the sight of me by now... Anyhow at least I bought something from them for it! But on looking at the models in the catalogues, which have made their way all over the house as my family read them too I look at the Rolex catalogue, which is a very nicely presented document... my opinion is that their products look a bit boring (I'm sure I've walked into the line of fire with that). The Rolex look is very 'copied' by now. Very much so the Submariner and the date-just. The number of people I see about sporting wannabe Rolex copies is uncanny. The date-just their 'stock model' if you like has nothing to get excited about, it has it's own look, sure but it's been robbed of it's individuality. The Submariner looks great and I have to say holding a real brand new Rolex submariner is something I reccomend to anyone (even if you have no intention of buying it, they don't need to know) it feels lovelly. It looks great on your wrist. But it's shine has again been robbed by the copies. Tag are very common and for me don't really appear very exciting so I pretty much looked at the catalogue a few times and that was that. Breitling are VERY distinctive and have a very apparent element of style. They really are great pieces of equipment. I had a Colt auto back in the day and never had any major issues with it and by today they have streamlined their range and have something for everyone. The spec of their sea dwelling watches is outstanding. I was very very impressed by them and indeed lined myself up for buying a Chronomat Blackbird (which I probably still may do knowing how weak willed I am). On the other hand there was Omega. The styling is very distincitve in it's own right and the equipment just keeps on going. There was never any question, I think once you own an Omega for whatever reason and appreciate it for the great item of equipment that it is you can pretty much discount Rolex out of hand. It was touch and go on my buying a Submariner for some time but I didn't fancy waiting and I fancied buying a £2350 watch that looked like Joe Bloggs' £50 watch even less. My Omega was £1600 that I spent not because I wanted to be a flash yuppie. I spent it because I wanted the best equipment that was individual to me.

My thoughts...

Pete J

: I should have my hands on my Omega in the next
: day or two- at that time, please, please
: stop me and say hello! Since you are at the
: Pentagon, that could happen- I live in
: Silver Spring, MD and work in Rockville!

: Unfortunately, my bet is that for most people
: it is simply a watch, perhaps even a watch
: they settled for on the way to the Rolex
: they REALLY wanted.

: Now, here is another theory. I bet if you see
: someone wearing any type of upscale vintage
: watch- or even just 10 years old, THEY would
: be more than willing to chew your ear off
: about it.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE