The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Well....
In Response To: Omega Movements for $98?? ()

: Omega does use a base ETA 2892-A2 which would retail for about $98.cost to the whole saler is probably $38-$45 However if you have ever seen a stock 2982 and an Omega 1120 it is like comparing a ol' 427-ford truck engine to a balanced and blue printed 427 from an AC cobra with all the trimmings.

The first major difference is that the attachment of the rotor is totally different. It uses a more refined and smaller ball borne rotor instead of the stock (big) 2892 rotor that you see everywhere from IWC to Ulysse Nardin.

The second thing is that the click wheels and winding bridge of the 1120 have been improved to wind more efficiently and reduce friction.
The end result would be that the watches net a higher torque delivery to the main spring.and better running rates and state of wind.

The third difference is the finish. On the balance cock, the rotor, the wheel train bridge and the main plate is finished with Geneva strips and perlage around the perimeter. This is a very nice touch, although it’s done by machine.

Look at it from this angle.
I buy a watch to last a lifetime, but parts do wear out. Replacing an escapement wheel, or a balance complete for a 2982 shouldn't be that hard in 20-30 years. I want to wear my watches well into the future.

Dealing with Rolex on the other hand is impossible. They do the work period. I will not deal with them at all. They are condescending, snobbish, and just plain rude. The only other place that I have received worse treatment is Cartier (but I’m not even going to start with that)
They make 800,000 watches a year, most of which have the 3135, 3185, and 3000 series movements.
They are not made by swiss elves in the Jura or Geneva for that matter. They are made by machines and computers.
Examining both movements: both movements are mass produced. The cost to manufacture an ETA 2892 or a 3135 is roughly the same. Given the finished product of what Rolex produces I would say that the cost to Omega would be more, more cost in the overall finished product, more time in manufacturing the end result. Swatch group owns ETA. The Swatch group owns OMEGA, ETA produces the majority of most movements for watch companies. There is a reason for this, and it isn’t bad. Zenith is owned by another company, DIXI, I believe. Zenith also supplies movements to many other companies, including Rolex. A Daytona, until very recently, had a Zenith under the hood. If Rolex is just so good why haven’t they come out with there own movement for the Daytona before the year 2000. It’s all about money…. Profit, price margins, Tooling and wages.

I’m not a rolex basher. I just don’t care for their attitude, and if they produced a honest product that isn’t a name alone I would buy them. Look at a Minerva cal 48 or 49. That’s a watchmaker’s watch. Very well thought out and simple. But until that time……. Well . I’ll just leave it at that.
It’s time for “our”, I mean my medication.
“Know your doses, Know your doses. It’s elementary!”
Travis

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE