The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Airtravel
In Response To: Airtravel ()

: I notice that you advised a person to leave the
: crown unscrewed during a flight, as any
: cabbin pressure changes would force the
: crystal to 'pop' out. -

Not any cabin pressue. Only in rare cases of a sudden significant drop in cabin air pressure.

: Isn't that dangerous
: for the same reason that divers do not
: unscrew the crown in a diving bell and
: instead use the special valve.

No. The reason for the escape valve is to allow excess pressure to escape while still maintaining water tightness. The crown *will* allow water in. But the escape valve is literally a valve that lets air out, but not water in.

Hopefully, you will not be underwater *while* in an airplane.

: However, you
: mention that other gases can escape through
: the valve, so if oxygen can escape, dosn't
: this make it a better bet than opening th
: ecrown and exposing the watch?

Yes. The advice in the FAQ is written to apply to *any* screw-down crown water-resistant watch. Most such watches do not have the escape valve as an alternative method of accomplishing this.

: Also, if
: releasing the valve means that the watch is
: not air-tight (since air can escape), does
: this mean that when the valve is open
: (during the relase of a gas), then water can
: enter?

No. It is an automatic valve that only opens while releasing the excess gas pressure and maintains its water tight state.

: I have enjoyed reading the site and the FAQs
: are very useful. Happy Birthday and I'm sure
: the site will remain popular for years to
: come;)

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread

Airtravel
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE