The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Auto or quartz
In Response To: Auto or quartz ()

As a new seamaster pro owner I'll jump in here. I also have a seiko 200 diver. I found mine on the web for $175, that might be the way to go for your first automatic watch, try it and see if you like it. The seiko is a sturdy work watch, I don't worry about scrathing it up. Its as accurate as I need and the face is very visible in the dark.

So why buy an omega? I wanted something a little dressier, my seiko has a black rubber strap. The Omega is a much better looking watch. The Omega is rated to 300 meters, the seiko to 200. The omega has a saphire crystal, the seiko a mineral glass. The omega has a hack set, the seiko doesn't and most surprisingly the seiko can't be hand wound, which is a pain when I don't wear it for a few days.

May I also take this opportunity to compare the omega to a rolex? First, the omega costs about 1/2 the price of a comparable rolex. The omega has a much higher quality braclet and is more comfortable to wear. My old rolex had the plastic crystal which was always scratched and didn't keep very good time, it could lose up to 2 minutes a day. It was very difficult to hand wind, I don't know why but the stem was very tight. Despite all that I wore it for 15 years. I think the submariner is a very nice beater watch, but a tad overpriced.

I can't reconcile to wearing a quartz watch. What's the point of making a work of art and then slapping a circuit board inside. I like to here the escapement ticking 26,000 time a minute.

: I appreciate all the fine answers I'm getting
: to my elementary questions in efforts to buy
: a new watch. I currently own a 1990, Tag
: Heuer 1000 series diver, which besides the
: $4 cost of a battery every few years, has
: been a dependable watch. I really want to
: get another mechanical watch, but besides
: the initial cost, the periodic services are
: a consideration, and that's why I'm doing
: alot of research, as I don't want to be
: disappointed after my purchase. I'm even
: considering the Seiko 200 diver auto, which
: is supposed to be a fairly decent mechanical
: watch All said, I might just end up with
: another quartz, which from what I'm reading
: is the most dependable.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE