The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: SMP Clasp again!
In Response To: SMP Clasp again! ()

The metal is soft, but there is a solution.

This is my standard post on this subject. The results are easy to obtain and will result in minimal metal loss.

Some people use Scotch Brite, but in my view Scotch Brite is very coarse and will leave noticeable swirl marks under a variety of lighting onditions. Others use very fine sand paper. I believe that sandpaper could take off more metal than necessary.

In addition to the suggestion below, a pen eraser is sometimes effective for very minor marks created by rubbing the clasp against a hard surface such as plastic. Its a lot of work though, and IMO not usually worth the effort.

My solution for the removal of scratches was the purchase of a fine Satin Finish Bar, item FB-1103 from Frei and Borel on the TZ Tool shop. Its around 10 dollars (USD). It is a hard sponge-like impregnated rubber block and I've had excellent results with it. For deeper scratches use their medium satin bar first. Its more abrasive. Finish up with long, slow, straight lines with the fine bar. The finish you'll get is extremely close to when new and should be a major improvement. Be careful not to touch the crystal with it. Do not use on polished surfaces, only brushed. Also be careful of the engravings on the clasp.

The medium bar, and the fine bar to a lesser extent, is abrasive and continued use will take off metal over time. The following is their text:

'This abrasive-impregnated rubber block provides the kind of brushed and satin finishes seen from the factory. I have never been able to reproduce it with any other abrasive of any type. The block, or squared pieces cut from it, should be used in very straight, light, even, uni-directional strokes over the entire length of the surface. Blow the surface free of debris between strokes for the most even finish. This is an indispensable product for those refinishing brushed and satined surfaces'

FB-1103

Around $10.60 USD

I've demonstrated the process for my authorized dealer and he agreed the results were excellent for very little effort. I hope this helps.

Mark

: Why does Omega not increase the quality of
: metal on the clasps of the SMP? Another
: scratch I have even though I am very careful
: when wearing it. Does slightly take the
: shine off of an otherwise very good watch.

Messages In This Thread

SMP Clasp again!
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE